Lombard Insurance was established in 1990 by the visionary George Lombard as a niche insurer operating in the surety and guarantee market. Twenty-five years later, we have developed into a multifaceted business that provides diversified financial services to businesses and individuals.
In 2004, Johnny Symmonds succeeded George as managing director and, over the next decade, built on the solid foundation provided by his predecessor. With his guidance, Lombard has kept and grown our commitment to supporting our clients’ and partners’ success.
Today, under leadership of James Orford (appointed Lombard’s CEO in January 2015), we are known and respected for the diverse range of products we offer. Our products span across construction guarantees/bonds, credit insurance, customs bonds, mining rehabilitation guarantees and trade finance.
We form sustainable partnerships between our clients and our UMA partners (Underwriting Management Agencies) to develop custom-built, collaborative product designs. With service excellence at the core of our business model, we will always remain flexible and open to new ideas that serve our clients and build on our reputation as specialist insurance leaders.
A DYNAMIC FUTURE, A SOLID FOUNDATION/
Lombard Guarantee Insurance Company Limited registers as a specialist insurance company with Munich Re, Swiss Re and Hollard Insurance Company as our major shareholders. *None of these entities remain a shareholder of the group.
We change our name to Lombard Insurance Company Limited
On our 10th anniversary, we restructure into three divisions :
- Construction bonding
- Solvency guarantees
- Trade credit insurance
George Lombard retires as Managing Director, and is succeeded by Johnny Symmonds
We form an equity partnership with specialist Underwriting Management Agency Consort Technical Underwriters
- We form an equity partnership with Leppard Underwriting
- We add Trade Finance and Mining Rehabilitation Guarantees to our product line
- We enter into a joint venture agreement with Assetinsure, an Australian insurer, to develop a guarantee business in Australia
We sign a reinsurance agreement with Swiss Re International on the AssetInsure book of business
In 2010, Lombard formed an association with Nordic Guarantee in Sweden. They also have offices in Finland and Norway and write business in Denmark
- We form equity partnerships with specialist Underwriting Management Agencies, Horizon Underwriting Managers and C3 Commercial Crime Concepts
- We sign a co-operation agreement with China National Investment & Guaranty Company to provide better construction guarantee solutions to Chinese contractors working in Africa
- We sign co-operation and reinsurance agreements with Nordic Guarantee, a Scandinavian based insurer, to expand their construction bonding business into Europe
Red Sands Insurance Company limited purchases 9.9% of Nordic Guarantee